A stone wall defines the premises of the La Mejorada Monastery, in which one will find the Mudejar Chapel – a National Monument since 1931 – and against which stands a gothic arch from the Fonseca Chapel, the cloisters, the “House of the Pilgrim”, a dovecot, various storage spaces, farm houses, a fishery – which provided fish for all the Jeronimo monks during Lent – and a few other buildings.
What remained of the monastery was found in ruins when Wineries and Vineyards La Mejorada took over the property, though a large part had already been restored.
The restoration works were carried out under the direction of Rafael Moneo.
Still pending is the intervention in the Mudejar Chapel, whose floor plans have become the emblem of the winery, who uses it as the brand logo on all its products.
The winery itself has taken up shop in what once were the cloisters.
Briefly describing the current use of the cloisters, the southern flank has been dedicated to the receipt of the grapes and is where the tanks for production have been installed.
In the northern flanks and western side are the barrels, while the eastern flanks are dedicated to the storage of the bottled wine.
The architecture of the cloisters allows for the lineal order that the wine production process requires.
La arquitectura del claustro permite establecer el orden lineal que el proceso de elaboración del vino requiere.